What are Sinus Headaches?
Sinus Headaches occur, when the channels connecting sinuses to the back of nose get inflamed; which in turn reduces the drainage through sinuses and builds up pressure inside them, thus making them swollen and congested. As a result of this condition, you feel pressure and throbbing pain around your eyes, cheeks and forehead. Cold, damp weather and leaning over worsens the condition.
Sinus headaches are complex to diagnose because their symptoms resembles with that of tension headaches and migraines.
What are the symptoms associated with Sinus Headaches?
Below mentioned facts can be enlisted as the potential signs and symptoms of Sinus Headaches:
- Feeling of pressure and pain in the specific areas of your face, forehead, around your eyes and above nose.
- You may have fever, chills, malaise (feeling poorly) or myalgias (achy muscles)
- Pain intensifies with the movement of head or bending over.
- Pain maximizes in the morning.
- Yellow-green or blood-stained nasal discharge.
- Congested nose
- Sore throat
- Hurting feeling in the upper teeth
- Power to smell or taste reduces
What are the causes of Sinus Headaches?
Sinus Headache is the condition channels or sinusitis, where channels or membranes lining your sinuses get blocked and inflamed. Sinuses can be caused due to:
- Viral Infections
- Allergic reaction viz. hay fever
- Bacterial or Fungal Infections
- Impaired Immune System
- Structural problems in the Nasal Cavity
Because of all these conditions, pressure inside the sinuses changes which in turn triggers headaches.
What are the treatments available for Sinus Headaches?
The best way to treat Sinus Headaches is to cure underlying sinus congestion and inflammation. Various dietary supplements and herbs may also help to cure your infections by supporting and strengthening your immune system. Besides these, below mentioned treatments are advised or prescribed for treating Sinus Headaches:
- For treating bacterial sinusitis, antibiotics are prescribed by the physicians.
- You may be advised to inhale nasal steroids, if sinus headaches have occurred due to allergies or inflammation.
- Nasal irrigation may be helpful to relieve Sinus headaches by shrinking your inflamed sinus membrane.
- Drinking fluids in sufficient quantity and humidified air may also help to relieve congestion.
- Saline nasal sprays also help to relieve congestion.
- Inhaling steam also improves upon the condition.
What are the different ways to prevent Sinus Headaches?
To prevent Sinus Headaches, it is important to keep your sinus healthy:
- In order to avoid upper respiratory infections leading to sinusitis, wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Avoid irritants like cigarette, pipe and cigar smoke, perfume and certain chemicals, as these can swell your sinus channels.
- Breathing humidified air at home and work can also help to reduce sinus headaches.
Next time you suffer from Sinus Headaches, Contact My Urgent Care. Timely diagnosis and treatment will help in quick healing. Our proficient doctors are always present with best possible treatment options to cure your ailments